HR123 Home


Information regarding each employee is kept by the State of Nevada in paper, electronic or both formats as required by law.

Employment records are maintained based on the State's records retention schedules.

These files while confidential, may be accessed by:

  • The employee
  • State agencies when looking at hiring an employee
  • Employee representatives (with an employee's consent)
  • The Division of Human Resource Management's Administrator
  • Courts
  • Law enforcement

Information regarding your name, class title and home address (unless deemed confidential, see NRS 289.025) may be requested as a public record.

Click on below headings for more information on this topic


It is best practice for a supervisor to keep a working file for each of his or her subordinates.  An employee's working file should include information on performance (e.g., ongoing work/projects), positive and (as necessary) negative, and may include conduct, attendance, letters of commendation and emergency contact information.  Information placed in the file should be objective and factual.

Files should be maintained by the supervisor and kept confidential.  An employee is entitled to view his or her working file upon request.


An agency personnel file contains:

  • The same items as the official record (see Official Record heading);
  • Originals or copies of personnel related forms; and
  • Discretionary information (e.g., letters of commendation, resumes, educational transcripts, media, correspondence).

Agency personnel files are typically maintained by an agency's human resources staff.


An employee's medical information is confidential and kept separate from an agency's personnel file in a secure manner (e.g., locked cabinet).  Typically, medical information is maintained by an agency's human resources staff.


An employee's official personnel file (service jacket) is maintained by the Division of Human Resource Management, Central Records and includes:

The file may also include, if submitted:

  • Employment application
  • Work Performance Standards
  • Resignation from Service or Notice of Transfer to Another Agency
  • Statement Concerning Job Not Covered by Social Security (Form SSA-1945)
  • Division of Human Resource Management or Agency forms
  • Items submitted by employee or agency (e.g., letters of commendation, transcripts, certificates)