HR Reference Guide
COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENTS
As of July 1, 2021, some State employees are covered under Collective Bargaining Agreements (CBA), see theDivision of Human Resource Management, Labor Relations Unit page for more information. If you are in a job classification currently covered under a CBA, some of the terms and benefits of your employment may be different than the provisions outlined on this page. Please consult your CBA or agency's human resource for further information.
APPLIES ONLY TO PERMANENT, CLASSIFIED EMPLOYEES
A set period during which an agency evaluates the skills, work habits and general suitability of a permanent employee.
Classes at grade 19 or below serve six moths of full-time equivalent trial period. Classes at grade 20 or higher serve one year of full-time equivalent trial period.
Click on below headings for more information on this topic
REPORTS ON PERFORMANCE
TIME NOT COUNTED TOWARD
An agency may end an employee's trial period for any lawful reason.
If an employee's trial period due to a promotion is ended, the employee must be:
- Restored to his or her former position unless the position has been filled by an employee with greater seniority;
- Placed in another vacant position in the class held immediately before the promotion; or
- If no position as described above exists, placed in another position in a class equal or to lower than the class held immediately before the promotion or placed on a reemployment list.
If an employee's trial period due to a voluntary transfer is ended, in the following order, the employee must be:
- Restored to his or her former position, unless the position has been filled;
- Placed in a vacant position in the same class as his or her former position at the agency from which the employee voluntarily transferred;
- Placed in a vacant position within a class lower than his or her former class at the agency from which the employee voluntarily transferred;
- Placed on the reemployment list for other classes which are equal to or lower than his or her former class at the agency from which the employee voluntarily transferred.
An employee may not grieve or appeal a rejection from a trial period.