HR Reference Guide


As of July 1, 2021, some State employees are covered under Collective Bargaining Agreements (CBA), see the Division of Human Resource Management, Labor Relations Unit page for more information.  If you are in a job classification currently covered under a CBA, some of the terms and benefits of your employment may be different than the provisions outlined on this page. Please consult your CBA or agency's human resource for further information.



A grievance is an act, omission or occurrence that an employee feels is an injustice relating to any condition arising out of the relationship between the employee and employer.

The State of Nevada has a process for addressing employee grievances.  The intent of the State's grievance process is to resolve the grievance between the employee and employer at the lowest possible management level.  However, if the grievance process does not settle the grievance within the agency, the process' final step provides for a hearing before the Employee-Management Committee composed of an equal number of management and employee representatives from other agencies.

Oral warnings and written reprimands may be grieved.  Grievances for which a hearing is provided for by federal law (e.g., Fair Labor Standards Act) or is handled through another State administrative process (e.g., appeal of an involuntary transfer) may not be submitted to the State's grievance process.

Click on below headings for more information on this topic


An employee has 20 working days after the date of the event leading to the grievance or the date he or she learns of the event leading to the grievance to file a grievance.  Grievances relating to employee evaluations must be filed within 10 working days after the employee receives the final decision following a request to review the report on performance.

The time periods to file or advance a grievance to another step may be extended by written agreement of the employee and the agency.


A grievance may be filed in NEATS or by submitting the grievance to the employee's supervisor using the Formal Grievance form (see FORMS).